Sunday, April 13, 2008

Not Just Meat and Potatoes

Lately our ward's Relief Society has been hosting activities around informing and encouraging the use of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits in our diets. Basically the principles taught in the Word of Wisdom! This also helps us to be prepared to actually be able to use those buckets of wheat in our food storage should the need arise.

It's been a slow progression, but this has really affected the way we eat. We're incorporating more fruits and vegetables in our meals, love Pink Lady apples! Talking about wheat: We get whole wheat bread instead of white. In our cookies we do half white flour, half wheat flour. There is a yummy wheat berry salad (see recipe below) that is a great side dish in our lunches. I've been trying to use honey instead of sugar (there are nutritional differences between the two).

If you're feeling inspired to try this out here are a few things I've learned (I'm by no means an expert!)...

- When opting for the wheat version of foods make sure it says "whole grain wheat" otherwise it's not the real stuff.

- Some groceries stores have fresh wheat available for you to grind yourself. Hy-Vee has one in the organic section. Also, it loses nutritional value the older it is. So freshly ground flour is better than that month old flour or even better than the flour that is pre-packaged.

- If I want my children to eat healthy then I better show them the way!

- I've found that I'm picky about lettuce. Sam's has a package of (6) Romaine Hearts that is usually very fresh and reasonably priced. Speaking of Sam's, the bulk packaging is conducive to eating more healthy. For example, I've been buying the large bag of carrots, pineapples, and oranges from there. I feel guilty when food goes bad so I'm sure to use those fresh items often.

- These recent experiences have really helped me to focus on the do's of the Word of Wisdom in addition to the don'ts. We can receive the blessings promised in the Word of Wisdom not only by avoiding the don'ts, but applying the do's.

- It can be overwhelming if you try to add everything in all at once, but little by little it can be done and will make a difference!

Wheat Berry Salad
from Betty Crocker Whole Grains

Wheat Berries
1 cup uncooked wheat berries
4 cups water

Creamy Vinaigrette Dressing
1/3 cup canola oil
2 Tbs mayonnaise
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper

Salad
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (I omit just cause I don't care for tomatoes : )
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (have made it without this when I haven't had it and it's still been great)
4 medium green onions, sliced (same thing with these onions, I've used red onions, diced)
1/2 cup crumbled feta

Soak wheat berries in water for 30 minutes. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover; simmer 55-60 minutes or until wheat is tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. In a small bowl, stir all dressing ingredients until well mixed. In a large serving bowl, toss wheat berries, salad ingredients, and dressing. Cover; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Ok, is it dumb that I don't even know what wheat berries are???

But good for you eating all healthy! We really need to start doing that!

Heidi said...

That sounds like a great set of classes. And good for you for listening and incorporating it into your lifestyle. We buy the good whole wheat bread, and I've found that I can't even stand white bread anymore.

Ginny said...

Not dumb at all Meredith!! I should have explained...I totally didn't know either until a few months ago. A WHEAT BERRY is the entire wheat kernel without the hull. When cooked it's a squishy, round, chewy berry. I'll try to remember to bring some over Wednesday!

carizolli said...

We are bread snobs in our house too! We only buy whole wheat bread made from a local company. The ingredient list looks more like my mom's bread recipe and I like that!

But I have a LONG way to go as far as eating more healthy. Thanks for the tips!

Jason Zollinger said...

Ya know I've always wondered if I would see much of a difference if I followed the Word of Wisdom with total exactness. You know, not just the no-no's like coffee, booze and drugs but also making grains the center of my diet, only eating fruits in their respective seasons and stuff.

I'll have to try that sometime.

Becca said...

That's awesome Ginny! And congrats! It is so hard sometimes. I have a problem getting Alann to eat anything green usually. Unless it came straight from the garden. Keep passing on the recipes!

Ginny said...

You guys are great, thanks for the comments. I excitedly told Kirk, "There's like 5 comments on my Word of Wisdom post"...yeah, I was excited! lol

Lisa R said...

We just replenished our food storage so we will have to keep these fun recipes in mind! We are going to try some new things like dried eggs, etc. Yummy,right?!