Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Forced Vacation

On November 10th K was laid off from his job. This came as a surprise and yet not. His beloved company had to discontinue his employment due to the bad economy and little work. I was out shopping when K came home early in the day. I saw that he was calling my cell, but couldn't answer because I was in line checking out. I felt horrible when he told me he had been laid off and asked why I wasn't home (to be of comfort and assistance). No time for laziness or moping, K got to calling different contacts. Two interviews with local companies occurred during the week. By the following week K had received offers from each. Both would have been exactly what K wanted to do and were good opportunities. So, long story short....the Lord really blessed us. We took an extended Thanksgiving vacation to Mississippi, K now has work to keep him busy, and he feels that this is a great change for his career.

Update: K started his new job on Monday and is busy working on a project already.

9 comments:

Lisa R said...

So when does the forced vacation to Columbia come along!!!

carizolli said...

What a relief! I'm so glad he wasn't job hunting for long! I'm glad things worked out for you guys.

...although I was secretly hoping he'd find a job on the west coast!

Chieko said...

I'm sorry to what happened, but I'm also glad to know he got another job right away. It might have been a blessing in disguise? The Lord really watches over us. Knowledge of the gospel makes difference in understanding of our situation, especially like this. We love you!

Lis said...

I am so glad that things worked out for you guys. I'm like Cari, I was hoping you'd move closer. I am happy for you guys. Miss you.

Jill said...

I'm so glad it all worked out. I was worried when I heard, but so happy how quickly he found something new.
Thanks for you sweet letter. You are so thoughtful. I too am grateful for your friendship.

Meredith said...

Wow that first part stinks, but I'm so glad it had a happy ending!

What are you guys doing for New Years Eve? We're thinking of having a get-together....

Chieko said...

A friend of mine shared with me, a talk from Elder Wirthlin. It reminded me of how you handled this. We love you!

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html

Ginny said...

Thanks everyone, I guess I probably would have been more frantic had I posted about this while Kirk was unemployed. Chieko, I really like that talk...though I feel like we kind of cheated because it's easy to see the good that came from this layoff...lol.

Hans K. Meyer said...

Wow! Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. Congrats to Kirk on finding a job so quickly. With the economy the way it is, he's either really fortunate or really talented, and as much as I want to be a guy and tease him, I'll go with the talented.